Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/4] Remove some e300/MPC83xx evaluation platforms

From: Paul Gortmaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:59:09 -0500

[This RFC is proposed for v6.4 and hence is based off linux-next.]

This series removes support for four e300 (MPC83xx) Freescale processor
family evaluation boards that were added to the kernel in the 2006 era.

These boards were all of a very similar form factor, a largish PCI or PCI-X
card that could also be used standalone with an external power brick, and
all shared the Modular Development System (MDS) designation.

These platforms were made in limited quantity and were generally designed
to get early silicon into the hands of OEMs who would later develop their
own boards/platforms.  As such, availability was limited to those who would
be working on boards and/or BSP support.

Many early revision MDS platforms used a mechanical clamping system to hold
the BGA CPU in place to facilitate CPU updates -- something not normally
possible for a soldered down BGA in a COTS system.

The point of these details is to give context that reflects that these four
boards were made in limited quantities, were not in a form factor that is
really "hobbyist" friendly and hence make sense for removal 17 years later.

Here, we remove the MPC8548E-MDS[1], the MPC8360E-MDS[2], the
MPC837xE-MDS[3], and the MPC832x-MDS[4] board support from the kernel.

There will still exist several e300 Freescale Reference Design System (RDS)
boards[5] and mini-ITX boards[6] with support in the kernel.  While these
were more of a COTS "ready to deploy" design more suited to hobbyists, it
probably makes sense to consider removing these as well, based on age.

But before we get to that, lets see how this goes -- and then we should
look at similar early e500 evaluation platforms [MPC8540-ADS, etc] next,
as the oldest there date back to 2002[7] -- before considering RDB/mITX.

I intentionally didn't put any links in the commits, since as we all know,
they tend not to be stable long term, so keep them here in the merge data.
Credit to NXP for keeping around these old legacy docs this long!

Paul.

--

[1] https://www.nxp.com/design/qoriq-developer-resources/mpc8349e-modular-development-system:MPC8349EMDS
[2] https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/MPC8360EMDSUM.pdf
[3] https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/legacy-mpu-mcus/powerquicc-processors/powerquicc-iii-mpc85xx/mpc837xe-modular-development-system:MPC837XEMDS
[4] https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/legacy-mpu-mcus/powerquicc-processors/powerquicc-ii-pro-mpc83xx/low-power-powerquicc-ii-pro-processor-with-ddr2-tdm-pci-security-usb-quicc-engine-with-utopia:MPC8323E
[5] https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/MPC8379ERDBFS.pdf
[6] https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/nxp-usa-inc/MPC8349E-MITX-GP/1204733
[7] https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/MPC8560ADSUG.pdf

Cc: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Cc: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
Cc: Li Yang <[email-masked]>
Cc: Claudiu Manoil <[email-masked]>

---

Paul Gortmaker (4):
  powerpc: drop MPC834x_MDS platform support
  powerpc: drop MPC836x_MDS platform support
  powerpc: drop MPC837x_MDS platform support
  powerpc: drop MPC832x_MDS platform support

 arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile                    |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_mds.dts         | 436 ---------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc834x_mds.dts         | 403 --------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc836x_mds.dts         | 481 -----------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8377_mds.dts         | 505 ------------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8378_mds.dts         | 489 -----------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8379_mds.dts         | 455 ----------------
 .../configs/83xx/mpc832x_mds_defconfig        |  59 --
 .../configs/83xx/mpc834x_mds_defconfig        |  58 --
 .../configs/83xx/mpc836x_mds_defconfig        |  64 ---
 .../configs/83xx/mpc837x_mds_defconfig        |  58 --
 arch/powerpc/configs/mpc83xx_defconfig        |   4 -
 arch/powerpc/configs/ppc6xx_defconfig         |   4 -
 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/Kconfig           |  32 --
 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/Makefile          |   4 -
 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc832x_mds.c     | 110 ----
 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc834x_mds.c     | 101 ----
 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc836x_mds.c     | 210 --------
 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc837x_mds.c     | 103 ----
 19 files changed, 3577 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_mds.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc834x_mds.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc836x_mds.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8377_mds.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8378_mds.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8379_mds.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/configs/83xx/mpc832x_mds_defconfig
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/configs/83xx/mpc834x_mds_defconfig
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/configs/83xx/mpc836x_mds_defconfig
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/configs/83xx/mpc837x_mds_defconfig
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc832x_mds.c
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc834x_mds.c
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc836x_mds.c
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/mpc837x_mds.c

-- 
2.17.1