Subject: [PATCH 00/13] mm: jit/text allocator

From: Mike Rapoport <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:12:44 +0300

From: "Mike Rapoport (IBM)" <[email-masked]>

Hi,

module_alloc() is used everywhere as a mean to allocate memory for code.

Beside being semantically wrong, this unnecessarily ties all subsystmes
that need to allocate code, such as ftrace, kprobes and BPF to modules
and puts the burden of code allocation to the modules code.

Several architectures override module_alloc() because of various
constraints where the executable memory can be located and this causes
additional obstacles for improvements of code allocation.

This set splits code allocation from modules by introducing
jit_text_alloc(), jit_data_alloc() and jit_free() APIs, replaces call
sites of module_alloc() and module_memfree() with the new APIs and
implements core text and related allocation in a central place.

Instead of architecture specific overrides for module_alloc(), the
architectures that require non-default behaviour for text allocation must
fill jit_alloc_params structure and implement jit_alloc_arch_params() that
returns a pointer to that structure. If an architecture does not implement
jit_alloc_arch_params(), the defaults compatible with the current
modules::module_alloc() are used.

The new jitalloc infrastructure allows decoupling of kprobes and ftrace
from modules, and most importantly it enables ROX allocations for
executable memory.

A centralized infrastructure for code allocation allows future
optimizations for allocations of executable memory, caching large pages for
better iTLB performance and providing sub-page allocations for users that
only need small jit code snippets.

patches 1-5: split out the code allocation from modules and arch
patch 6: add dedicated API for data allocations with constraints similar to
code allocations
patches 7-9: decouple dynamic ftrace and kprobes form CONFIG_MODULES
patches 10-13: enable ROX allocations for executable memory on x86

Mike Rapoport (IBM) (11):
  nios2: define virtual address space for modules
  mm: introduce jit_text_alloc() and use it instead of module_alloc()
  mm/jitalloc, arch: convert simple overrides of module_alloc to jitalloc
  mm/jitalloc, arch: convert remaining overrides of module_alloc to jitalloc
  module, jitalloc: drop module_alloc
  mm/jitalloc: introduce jit_data_alloc()
  x86/ftrace: enable dynamic ftrace without CONFIG_MODULES
  arch: make jitalloc setup available regardless of CONFIG_MODULES
  kprobes: remove dependcy on CONFIG_MODULES
  modules, jitalloc: prepare to allocate executable memory as ROX
  x86/jitalloc: make memory allocated for code ROX

Song Liu (2):
  ftrace: Add swap_func to ftrace_process_locs()
  x86/jitalloc: prepare to allocate exectuatble memory as ROX

 arch/Kconfig                     |   5 +-
 arch/arm/kernel/module.c         |  32 ------
 arch/arm/mm/init.c               |  35 ++++++
 arch/arm64/kernel/module.c       |  47 --------
 arch/arm64/mm/init.c             |  42 +++++++
 arch/loongarch/kernel/module.c   |   6 -
 arch/loongarch/mm/init.c         |  16 +++
 arch/mips/kernel/module.c        |   9 --
 arch/mips/mm/init.c              |  19 ++++
 arch/nios2/include/asm/pgtable.h |   5 +-
 arch/nios2/kernel/module.c       |  24 ++--
 arch/parisc/kernel/module.c      |  11 --
 arch/parisc/mm/init.c            |  21 +++-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/kprobes.c    |   4 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/module.c     |  37 -------
 arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c            |  41 +++++++
 arch/riscv/kernel/module.c       |  10 --
 arch/riscv/mm/init.c             |  18 +++
 arch/s390/kernel/ftrace.c        |   4 +-
 arch/s390/kernel/kprobes.c       |   4 +-
 arch/s390/kernel/module.c        |  46 +-------
 arch/s390/mm/init.c              |  35 ++++++
 arch/sparc/kernel/module.c       |  34 +-----
 arch/sparc/mm/Makefile           |   2 +
 arch/sparc/mm/jitalloc.c         |  21 ++++
 arch/sparc/net/bpf_jit_comp_32.c |   8 +-
 arch/x86/Kconfig                 |   2 +
 arch/x86/kernel/alternative.c    |  43 ++++---
 arch/x86/kernel/ftrace.c         |  59 +++++-----
 arch/x86/kernel/kprobes/core.c   |   4 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/module.c         |  75 +------------
 arch/x86/kernel/static_call.c    |  10 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/unwind_orc.c     |  13 ++-
 arch/x86/mm/init.c               |  52 +++++++++
 arch/x86/net/bpf_jit_comp.c      |  22 +++-
 include/linux/ftrace.h           |   2 +
 include/linux/jitalloc.h         |  69 ++++++++++++
 include/linux/moduleloader.h     |  15 ---
 kernel/bpf/core.c                |  14 +--
 kernel/kprobes.c                 |  51 +++++----
 kernel/module/Kconfig            |   1 +
 kernel/module/main.c             |  56 ++++------
 kernel/trace/ftrace.c            |  13 ++-
 kernel/trace/trace_kprobe.c      |  11 ++
 mm/Kconfig                       |   3 +
 mm/Makefile                      |   1 +
 mm/jitalloc.c                    | 185 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 mm/mm_init.c                     |   2 +
 48 files changed, 777 insertions(+), 462 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/sparc/mm/jitalloc.c
 create mode 100644 include/linux/jitalloc.h
 create mode 100644 mm/jitalloc.c

base-commit: 44c026a73be8038f03dbdeef028b642880cf1511
-- 
2.35.1