Subject: [PATCH v3 1/9] vgacon: rework Kconfig dependencies

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 23:18:37 +0200

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>

The list of dependencies here is phrased as an opt-out, but this is missing
a lot of architectures that don't actually support VGA consoles, and some
of the entries are stale:

 - powerpc used to support VGA consoles in the old arch/ppc codebase, but
   the merged arch/powerpc never did

 - arm lists footbridge, integrator and netwinder, but netwinder is actually
   part of footbridge, and integrator does not appear to have an actual
   VGA hardware, or list it in its ATAG or DT.

 - mips has a few platforms (malta, sibyte, and sni) that initialize
   screen_info, on everything else the console is selected but cannot
   actually work.

 - csky, hexgagon, loongarch, nios2, riscv and xtensa are not listed
   in the opt-out table and declare a screen_info to allow building
   vga_con, but this cannot work because the console is never selected.

Replace this with an opt-in table that lists only the platforms that
remain. This is effectively x86, plus a couple of historic workstation
and server machines that reused parts of the x86 system architecture.

Reviewed-by: Javier Martinez Canillas <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Thomas Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Khalid Aziz <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Helge Deller <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/video/console/Kconfig | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/video/console/Kconfig b/drivers/video/console/Kconfig
index 30577b1d3de59..cbf303d76d39b 100644
--- a/drivers/video/console/Kconfig
+++ b/drivers/video/console/Kconfig
@@ -7,9 +7,9 @@ menu "Console display driver support"
 
 config VGA_CONSOLE
 	bool "VGA text console" if EXPERT || !X86
-	depends on !4xx && !PPC_8xx && !SPARC && !M68K && !PARISC &&  !SUPERH && \
-		(!ARM || ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE || ARCH_INTEGRATOR || ARCH_NETWINDER) && \
-		!ARM64 && !ARC && !MICROBLAZE && !OPENRISC && !S390 && !UML
+	depends on ALPHA || IA64 || X86 || \
+		(ARM && ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE) || \
+		(MIPS && (MIPS_MALTA || SIBYTE_BCM112X || SIBYTE_SB1250 || SIBYTE_BCM1x80 || SNI_RM))
 	select APERTURE_HELPERS if (DRM || FB || VFIO_PCI_CORE)
 	default y
 	help
-- 
2.39.2