Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 00/16] dma-mapping: migrate to physical address-based API

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2025 14:02:02 -0300

On Sat, Aug 09, 2025 at 12:53:09PM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> > With a long term goal that struct page only exists for legacy code,
> > and is maybe entirely compiled out of modern server kernels.
> 
> Why just server kernels?  I suspect client systems actually run
> newer kernels than servers do.

I would guess this is because of the people who are interested in this
work. Frankly there isn't much benifit for small memory client
systems. Modern servers have > 1TB of memory and struct page really
hurts here.

The flip side of this is the work is enormous and I think there is a
general idea that the smaller set of server related drivers and
subsystems will get ready well before the wider universe of stuff a
client or android might use.

It is not that more can't happen it just ultimately depends on
interest and time.

Many modern servers use quite new kernels if you ignore the enterprise
distros :\

Jason