Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] eth: remove the driver for acenic / tigon1&2

From: Bjorn Helgaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2026 14:56:57 -0500

On Fri, Apr 03, 2026 at 12:33:29PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2026 10:40:10 -0500 Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > > > -#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_ALTEON		0x12ae
> > > > -
> > > >  #define PCI_SUBVENDOR_ID_CONNECT_TECH			0x12c4
> > > >  #define PCI_SUBDEVICE_ID_CONNECT_TECH_BH8_232		0x0001
> > > >  #define PCI_SUBDEVICE_ID_CONNECT_TECH_BH4_232		0x0002  
> > 
> > > Does the PCI ID needs to be removed? There was a similar change that
> > > I recalled and the discussion eventually leads to ID not being
> > > removed.
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/  
> > 
> > I don't think there is value in removing the PCI_VENDOR_ID_ALTEON
> > definition.
> 
> Do you want me to respin the patch? "there is no value" is probably fair
> but also there's no value in keeping it so LMK if you want a respin..

I think there is a little value in keeping it.  Removing
PCI_VENDOR_ID_ALTEON:

  - makes future backports slightly harder, e.g., we remove
    PCI_VENDOR_ID_ALTEON, then add a new definition like Vendor ID
    0x12af, then backport the new definition, and the backport doesn't
    apply cleanly because the context doesn't match.

  - means we wouldn't notice a future addition of another name for
    Vendor ID 0x12ae, either by mistake or via acquisition of Alteon.
    We want to know about either one so we can avoid collisions with
    Device IDs used by Alteon.