Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/9] driver core: Fix some race conditions

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2026 07:27:46 +0200

On Fri, Apr 03, 2026 at 05:04:54PM -0700, Douglas Anderson wrote:
> NOTE: one potentially "controversial" choice I made in some patches
> was to always reserve a flag ID even if a flag is only used under
> certain CONFIG_ settings. This is a change from how things were
> before. Keeping the numbering consistent and allowing easy
> compile-testing of both CONFIG settings seemed worth it, especially
> since it won't take up any extra space until we've added a lot more
> flags.

Nah, this is fine, I don't see any problems with this as the original
code kind of was doing the same thing with the "hole" in the structure
if those options were not enabled.

> I only marked the first patch as a "Fix" since it is the only one
> fixing observed problems. Other patches could be considered fixes too
> if folks want.
> 
> I tested the first patch in the series backported to kernel 6.6 on the
> Pixel phone that was experiencing the race. I added extra printouts to
> make sure that the problem was hitting / addressed. The rest of the
> patches are tested with allmodconfig with arm32, arm64, ppc, and
> x86. I boot tested on an arm64 Chromebook running mainline.

I'm guessing your tests passed?  :)

Anyway, this looks great, unless there are any objections, other than
the "needs to be undefined", which a follow-on patch can handle, I'll
queue them up next week for 7.1-rc1.

thanks,

greg k-h