Subject: Re: [PATCH net-deletions v2] net: remove unused ATM protocols and legacy ATM device drivers

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2026 19:38:29 -0700

On Wed, 22 Apr 2026 14:05:31 +0100 David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2026-04-21 at 21:18 -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> >    I'm still deleting the solos driver, chances are nobody uses it.
> >    Easy enough to revert back in since core is still around.
> >    The guiding principle is to keep USB modems and delete
> >    the rest as USB ADSL2+ CPEs were most popular historically.  
> 
> Still not entirely convinced; I worked on both USB ATM modems and on
> Solos, and the Solos is both the most modern and the only one I still
> actually have. And the only one we have native support for that could
> ever do full 24Mb/s ADSL2+, I believe.
> 
> If we drop it, OpenWrt will need to drop support for these, which I
> think were quite popular at the time; there were a few UK resellers:
> https://openwrt.org/toh/traverse/geos1_1
> 
> I still don't actually care *enough* to try to find an ADSL line I
> could plug one into for testing though... :)

I'm inversely unconvinced. The argument has the ring of "I still have
this HW lying around somewhere", which is usually what prevents us from
shedding all this dead weight code. I don't want to argue, so I'll keep it.
But if one "fix" arrives for this driver - it's going :(