Subject: [PATCH 00/11] Convert moduleparams to seq_buf

From: Kees Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2026 06:33:13 -0700

Hi,

I tried to trim the CC list here, but it's still pretty huge...

We've had a long-standing issue with "write to a string pointer" callbacks
that don't bounds check the destination (and for which the bounds is
also not part of the callback prototype, even if it is "known" to be
PAGE_SIZE, which sysfs_emit() depends on). Both moduleparams and sysfs
use this pattern. As a first step, and to test the migration method,
migrate moduleparams first.

There are 2 "mechanical" treewide patches that are handled by Coccinelle:
- treewide: Convert struct kernel_param_ops initializers to DEFINE_KERNEL_PARAM_OPS
- treewide: Convert custom kernel_param_ops .get callbacks to seq_buf via cocci

The last treewide patch is manual, and may need to be broken up into
per-subsystem patches, though I'd prefer to avoid this, as it would
extend the migration from 1 relase to at least 2 releases. (1 to
release the migration infrastructure, then 1 release to collect all the
subsystem changes, and possibly 1 more release to remove the migration
infrastructure.)

Thoughts, questions?

-Kees

Kees Cook (10):
  panic: Replace panic_print_get() with generic helper
  moduleparam: Add DEFINE_KERNEL_PARAM_OPS macro family
  treewide: Convert struct kernel_param_ops initializers to
    DEFINE_KERNEL_PARAM_OPS
  moduleparam: Rename .get field to .get_str
  moduleparam: Add seq_buf-based .get callback alongside .get_str
  moduleparam: Route DEFINE_KERNEL_PARAM_OPS get pointer via _Generic
  params: Convert generic kernel_param_ops .get helpers to seq_buf
  treewide: Convert custom kernel_param_ops .get callbacks to seq_buf
    via cocci
  treewide: Manually convert custom kernel_param_ops .get callbacks
  moduleparam: Drop legacy kernel_param_ops .get_str field and dispatch
    logic

Pengpeng Hou (1):
  params: bound array element output to the caller's page buffer

 include/linux/dynamic_debug.h                 |   8 +-
 include/linux/moduleparam.h                   |  65 +++++++---
 security/apparmor/include/lib.h               |   3 +-
 mm/kfence/core.c                              |  15 ++-
 arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv.c                  |   5 +-
 arch/s390/kernel/perf_cpum_sf.c               |  12 +-
 arch/um/drivers/vfio_kern.c                   |   9 +-
 arch/um/drivers/virtio_uml.c                  |  18 +--
 arch/x86/kernel/msr.c                         |  11 +-
 arch/x86/kvm/mmu/mmu.c                        |  28 ++--
 arch/x86/kvm/svm/avic.c                       |  14 +-
 arch/x86/kvm/vmx/vmx.c                        |  24 ++--
 arch/x86/platform/uv/uv_nmi.c                 |  24 ++--
 block/disk-events.c                           |   6 +-
 drivers/acpi/button.c                         |  19 ++-
 drivers/acpi/ec.c                             |  14 +-
 drivers/acpi/sysfs.c                          | 114 ++++++++--------
 drivers/block/loop.c                          |  12 +-
 drivers/block/null_blk/main.c                 |  12 +-
 drivers/block/rnbd/rnbd-srv.c                 |   6 +-
 drivers/block/ublk_drv.c                      |  12 +-
 drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_msghandler.c           |  12 +-
 drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_watchdog.c             |  50 +++----
 drivers/crypto/hisilicon/hpre/hpre_main.c     |  16 +--
 drivers/crypto/hisilicon/sec2/sec_main.c      |  23 +---
 drivers/crypto/hisilicon/zip/zip_crypto.c     |   5 +-
 drivers/crypto/hisilicon/zip/zip_main.c       |  21 +--
 drivers/dma/dmatest.c                         |  34 ++---
 drivers/edac/i10nm_base.c                     |   6 +-
 drivers/firmware/efi/efi-pstore.c             |   6 +-
 drivers/firmware/qcom/qcom_scm.c              |  18 +--
 drivers/firmware/qemu_fw_cfg.c                |  40 +++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/drm_panic.c                   |  13 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_mitigations.c       |  31 ++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/imagination/pvr_fw_trace.c    |   6 +-
 drivers/hid/hid-cougar.c                      |   6 +-
 drivers/hid/hid-steam.c                       |   6 +-
 drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/driver.c           |  12 +-
 drivers/infiniband/ulp/iser/iscsi_iser.c      |   6 +-
 drivers/infiniband/ulp/isert/ib_isert.c       |   6 +-
 drivers/infiniband/ulp/srp/ib_srp.c           |  12 +-
 drivers/infiniband/ulp/srpt/ib_srpt.c         |   5 +-
 drivers/input/misc/ati_remote2.c              |  23 ++--
 drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c            |  15 ++-
 drivers/md/md.c                               |   5 +-
 drivers/media/pci/tw686x/tw686x-core.c        |   6 +-
 drivers/media/usb/uvc/uvc_driver.c            |  14 +-
 drivers/misc/lis3lv02d/lis3lv02d.c            |   5 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/ath/wil6210/main.c       |  10 +-
 drivers/nvme/host/multipath.c                 |  17 +--
 drivers/nvme/host/pci.c                       |  18 +--
 drivers/nvme/target/rdma.c                    |   5 +-
 drivers/nvme/target/tcp.c                     |   5 +-
 drivers/pci/pcie/aspm.c                       |  17 ++-
 drivers/platform/x86/acerhdf.c                |   5 +-
 drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery.c        |   6 +-
 drivers/power/supply/test_power.c             | 122 +++++++++---------
 drivers/scsi/fcoe/fcoe_transport.c            |  22 ++--
 drivers/scsi/sg.c                             |   6 +-
 drivers/target/target_core_user.c             |  25 ++--
 .../processor_thermal_soc_slider.c            |  24 ++--
 drivers/thermal/intel/intel_powerclamp.c      |  34 ++---
 drivers/tty/hvc/hvc_iucv.c                    |  24 ++--
 drivers/tty/sysrq.c                           |   6 +-
 drivers/ufs/core/ufs-fault-injection.c        |  12 +-
 drivers/ufs/core/ufs-mcq.c                    |  18 +--
 drivers/ufs/core/ufs-txeq.c                   |   5 +-
 drivers/ufs/core/ufshcd.c                     |  12 +-
 drivers/usb/core/quirks.c                     |   6 +-
 drivers/usb/gadget/legacy/serial.c            |   5 +-
 drivers/usb/storage/usb.c                     |  25 ++--
 drivers/vhost/scsi.c                          |  12 +-
 drivers/virt/nitro_enclaves/ne_misc_dev.c     |   6 +-
 drivers/virtio/virtio_mmio.c                  |  27 ++--
 fs/ceph/super.c                               |  10 +-
 fs/fuse/dir.c                                 |   5 +-
 fs/nfs/namespace.c                            |  12 +-
 fs/nfs/super.c                                |   6 +-
 fs/ocfs2/dlmfs/dlmfs.c                        |   5 +-
 fs/overlayfs/copy_up.c                        |   5 +-
 fs/ubifs/super.c                              |   6 +-
 kernel/locking/locktorture.c                  |  12 +-
 kernel/panic.c                                |  11 +-
 kernel/params.c                               | 122 +++++++++---------
 kernel/power/hibernate.c                      |   6 +-
 kernel/rcu/tree.c                             |  24 ++--
 kernel/sched/ext.c                            |  11 +-
 kernel/workqueue.c                            |  18 ++-
 lib/dynamic_debug.c                           |  16 ++-
 lib/test_dynamic_debug.c                      |  12 +-
 mm/damon/lru_sort.c                           |  33 +++--
 mm/damon/reclaim.c                            |  33 +++--
 mm/damon/stat.c                               |  16 +--
 mm/memory_hotplug.c                           |  30 +++--
 mm/page_reporting.c                           |  11 +-
 mm/shuffle.c                                  |   6 +-
 mm/zswap.c                                    |  14 +-
 net/batman-adv/bat_algo.c                     |   6 +-
 net/ceph/ceph_common.c                        |  10 +-
 net/ipv4/tcp_dctcp.c                          |   6 +-
 net/sunrpc/auth.c                             |  12 +-
 net/sunrpc/svc.c                              |   5 +-
 net/sunrpc/xprtsock.c                         |  18 +--
 samples/damon/mtier.c                         |   6 +-
 samples/damon/prcl.c                          |   6 +-
 samples/damon/wsse.c                          |   6 +-
 security/apparmor/lib.c                       |  27 ++--
 security/apparmor/lsm.c                       |  75 +++++------
 sound/hda/controllers/intel.c                 |   5 +-
 sound/usb/card.c                              |   7 +-
 110 files changed, 854 insertions(+), 1066 deletions(-)

-- 
2.34.1