Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] powerpc: Remove support for ppc405/440 Xilinx platforms

From: Christian Lamparter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:06:54 +0100

(Sorry for the bounces, yes my smarthost mail setup breaks from time to time
and I had to cut the CC since it complained about the length.)

On Saturday, 28 March 2020 12:17:58 CET Christophe Leroy wrote:
> 
> Le 27/03/2020 à 15:14, Andy Shevchenko a écrit :
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 02:22:55PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:15 PM Andy Shevchenko
>>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 03:10:26PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>>>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 01:54:33PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>>>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 1:12 PM Michal Simek 
>>>>>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>>> It does raise a follow-up question about ppc40x though: is it time to
>>>>>> retire all of it?
>>>>>
>>>>> Who knows?
>>>>>
>>>>> I have in possession nice WD My Book Live, based on this 
>>>>> architecture, and I won't it gone from modern kernel support.
>>>>> OTOH I understand that amount of real users not too big.
Hm, can't add much to Xilinx ppc405/440 removal patch debate. 

But as for the APM82181 with it's PPC464:

The last time I checked was with 5.6-rc4, it worked fine on the APM82181
(a MyBook Live) device. I've made a "build your own powerpc debian sid"
image thing that takes the latest kernel git and up-to-date packages
from debian ports (they still make powerpc packages!): 
<https://github.com/chunkeey/mbl-debian> .

Though, this is small potatoes. There exists a much more popular project
by Ewald Comhaire (CCed): <https://github.com/ewaldc/My-Book-Live>
that serves the largest userbase:
<https://community.wd.com/c/wd-legacy-products>

I guess we should think about upstreaming the MyBook Live DTS. Problem here
is that we deviated a bit from the canyonlands.dts/bluestone.dts structure
by having a skeleton apm82181.dtsi with most of the SoC defintition and a
wd-mybooklive.dts for the device.

<https://github.com/chunkeey/mbl-debian/blob/master/dts/apm82181.dtsi> 
<https://github.com/chunkeey/mbl-debian/blob/master/dts/wd-mybooklive.dts>

Cheers,
Christian