Subject: Re: DTS question

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:35:39 +0100

>>> Convention is to use the stock ticker symbol.  If the company is
>>> private and has no stock ticker symbol, then the company name should
>>> be used.
>>
>> I didn't know that. ADI it is then.
>
> Well.. stock ticker is the new convention.  IEEE1275 used IEEE
> assigned OUI strings (Organization Unique Identifiers).  Often those
> are the same as the stock ticker, but not always.

Erm, an OUI is a 24-bit number.  I think you're confusing something
here.

> Stock ticker is a good choice for new things, but for anything from a
> vendor which has existing 1275 bindings for its products, I think we
> should keep the original assigned OUI, even if it differs from the
> stock ticker.

Yes, when there is an existing binding, obviously you should use what
it says (unless that binding is *completely* broken).  Compatibility
is good.

Note that a stock symbol needs to be written in uppercase; in lowercase,
it is just a random name that has no collision protection.

Segher