Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] [PATCH] ASoC: fsl_ssi: free irq before irq_dispose_mapping()

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 20:56:23 +0100

On Monday 01 December 2014 19:41:47 Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 08:39:51PM +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> > On 12/01/2014 07:48 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:
> 
> > >A quick grep shows the following drivers that call both functions:
> 
> > Most of these drivers will probably work fine without irq_of_parse_and_map().
> 
> I'd also note that quite a few of these drivers look pretty legacy - a
> very large proportion are for old PowerPC hardware, though by no means
> all.

Right, from the times before we were using platform_device for probing
device tree based devices and they had to map the interrupt themselves.

Some of them like arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_pci.c seem fine, this one
is does not expect to ever destroy a device, and it only unmaps the
interrupt if request_irq fails. drivers/ata/pata_mpc52xx.c on the
other hand seems wrong in the same was as drivers/edac/mpc85xx_edac.c
and sound/soc/fsl/fsl_ssi.c.

All other drivers that call irq_of_parse_and_map and pass that into
devm_request_irq just never unmap, and their interrupts are already
mapped by the platform code, so I think it's not even a leak.

	Arnd