Subject: Re: AGPGART driver for ArticiaS - ioremap() problem

From: "Gerhard Pircher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:12:07 +0100 (MET)

> --- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
> Von: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <[email-masked]>
> Kopie: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Betreff: Re: AGPGART driver for ArticiaS - ioremap() problem
> Datum: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:48:44 +1100
> 
> On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 02:59 +0100, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> 
> > Yes, I see. :( The code mostly allocates the resources for the AGPGART
> > driver beyond the real memory space, thus preventing the X server to
> > work. Sometimes the resource is also mapped to where the resource of
> > the graphic card resides (address 0x88000000, compare with the included 
> > iomem file).
> 
> The AGP aperture should generally be located "outside" of those spaces.
> That is above RAM and in some place where no device already resides...
> It can be made to overlap RAM but that isn't a good idea (that's what
> happens on Macs though due to a bug in the Apple chipset).
Ahh, so the AGP aperture should not be within the memory space and any other
PCI/IO address range. Slowly but surely I become confused. ;-)

> I don't see anything related to AGP in your output... you didn't post
> the lspci as root thus it's missing all the useful infos ;)
I included a new lspci output log. :-) (now done as root)

> Also, the AGP base isn't generally a PCI BAR of the bridge... it is one
> in your case ?
I'm afraid I can't answer this question (you know, we have no datasheet for
the ArticiaS yet). From what I can see in the log, there is an unassigned
memory region (type 0, should be <4GB I guess). Could this affect AGP
operation? 

Gerhard

-- 
Lust, ein paar Euro nebenbei zu verdienen? Ohne Kosten, ohne Risiko!
Satte Provisionen für GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner