Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] MPC832x_RDB: update dts to use spi, register mmc_spi stub

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 00:08:17 +0200

>>>>>>> +				max-speed-hz = <bebc20>; /* 12500000 Hz */
>>>>
>>>> Just max-speed.
>>>
>>> Segher, how is this different from:
>>>
>>> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-April/034557.html
>>
>> Not sure what you mean.  I'm just saying that "speed-hz" is a
>> terrible name, I'm not saying that "max-speed" is perfect at all.
>
> yet you suggest a /more/ generic name, contrary to your prior comments.

Uh, you mean "hz" doesn't mean "Hertz"?  What a great name,
then</sarcasm>.

> My interpretation of your recent comments is that 'max-speed' is now a
> valid property name for devices such as ucc_geth.  Do I have that 
> right?

It is (and always was) a _valid_ name.  Whether it is a _good_
name depends on the context; if there is only one speed it can
be (reasonably) referring to, it is okay; if not (or even if so),
you're better off being a bit more verbose in your property names.
No need to go over the top though, it's all a tradeoff.

Segher