Subject: Re: include/asm-ppc/platforms/

From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:12:33 +1100

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:46:10 -0700,
Tom Rini <[email-masked]> wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:38:36AM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
>> Tom Rini <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >and all platforms need a
>> >platform/platform_serial.h file for serial to work with this scheme?
>>
>> No, an empty one is automatically generated if necessary.
>
>So yes, for CONFIG_SERIAL to work, the file needs to exist.  Which has
>the downside that at least a handful of platforms will need to cp
>all_ppc_serial.h.

Are the *_serial.h files intended as extensions for asm-ppc/serial.h or
as complete replacements for it?  If they are extensions then adding
#include <platform_serial.h> to asm-ppc/serial.h is enough.  If they are
complete replacements then the code is a little harder, but not much.

*.c files include only <asm/serial.h>.  In platform *_serial.h files,
#define REPLACES_PPC_SERIAL_H.  In asm-ppc/serial.h,

#include <platform_serial.h>
#ifndef REPLACES_PPC_SERIAL_H
... default ppc serial definitions
#endif

Do that once and forget about it, instead of needing #ifdef CONFIG for
each platform throughout the code.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/