Subject: Re: Where does ppc define __start___ksymtab?

From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:43:35 +1000

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:58:36 +0200 (METDST),
Gabriel Paubert <[email-masked]> wrote:
>What I hate in all this is that the combination of 2 bugs (no
>ksymtab/kstrtab in vmlinux.lds and no definition of the start and stop
>symbols) ends up in something working through behind the scenes black
>magic. Perhaps names should be chosen such that they will never clash with
>the ones the linker feels free to generate ?

Given that the vmlinux.lds scripts go into minute detail about
placement of sections in the kernel, why are we even letting the linker
store orphan sections?  I think that all vmlinux.lds ought to end with
this.

  /DISCARD/ : { *(*) }       /* Discard all other sections */

If we want anything in the kernel then we put it there, and say where
we want it.  Anything not explicitly listed is discarded.  I just did
this with ix86 and vmlinux shrank by 9K, mainly in .bss.  It would not
boot afterwards so obviously some part of that 9K is required but right
now it works by some "magic" storing the unknown sections.  I'm going
to track down which sections are not being explicitly placed.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/