Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/15] boot: simplfy gunzip_finish

From: Milton Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:01:37 -0500

On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:39 PM, David Gibson wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 05:08:32PM -0500, Milton Miller wrote:
>>
>> Call gunzip_partial to calculate the remaining length and copy the
>> data to the user buffer.   This makes it shorter and reduces
>> duplication.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Milton Miller <[email-masked]>
>
> Hrm... I guess this is sufficient.  Since we'll shortly be blowing
> away the state anyway, the lack of call to inflateEnd doesn't really
> matter.  Originally I was going to make this function call fatal() if
> the destination didn't have enough space to contain the decompressed
> tail of the image, but obviously I decided aginst that.
>
> But, if you're going to do this, you might as well get rid of
> gunzip_finish() entirely, and have the callers using gunzip_partial
> instead.

Huh?   I stilll call inflateEnd if s.workspace is not NULL, I just 
don't duplicate gunzip_partial in gunzip_finish.  Calling inflateEnd 
will mean a future call would return an error in the compressed case 
instead of the behavior in the non-compressed case that changes with 
this patch from get same data again to get further data that may exist 
after the patch.

Yes, one can argue that we don't need to call inflateEnd, but I didn't 
make that change in this patch.

Or were you suggesting that we really don't need the finish function?

milton