Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 3/3] [POWERPC] MPC832x_RDB: update dts to use SPI1in QE, register mmc_spi stub

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:13:56 +0200

>> This kind of thing is typically hardcoded into the firmware (just like
>> the device tree is) -- just put it somewhere _next to_ the device 
>> tree,
>> not _in_ it.
>
> What is next to the device tree?

"Anywhere else in the firmware".

> AFAIK, there is no other standard data structure that could take place 
> of the par_io nodes in the DTS.

The device tree is not a dumping ground for all your "I need some
standard data structure" stuff.  Use an XML file if you have to ;-)

> I agree with your points, Segher, but replacing the par_io node with a 
> bunch of par_io_config_pin() calls in the kernel is not really an 
> improvement, I think.  Until we migrate the QE pin configuration code 
> to U-boot, I suggest that we keep the device tree structure as-is and 
> continue to use it for new code.  That way, it will all stay in one 
> place.

Sure, some migration plan is in order, things won't change overnight.
That doesn't mean you don't need to start planning _now_ ;-)

Segher