Subject: Re: bi_recs

From: Jon Masters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 22:54:32 +0100

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:14:52 +0100, Jon Masters <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > I'd rather see you guys sync with what I did on ppc64 and use that
> > kind of OF device-tree, we already have all the code for using it
> > and it would make the mecanism compatible with the prep/chrp/pmac
> > kernel...
> 
> Yeah. I'm going to start ripping through your code at the weekend and
> figure out how what you've done - not having a nice shiney ppc64 box
> means I've not yet got an excuse to play with that tree myself. I am
> however hopefull that my next Powerbook will be a G5 :-).

Hmmm...

ppc64 head.S and startup looks quite fun. After jumping through a few
hoops you eventually end up in prom_init and start setting up the OF
device-tree (btw it looks like at least one call to prom_panic doesn't
relocate the string it wants to print to real memory - is this what
the comments are referring to out of sheer interest?). I am assuming
that you always expect to see an Open Firmware on ppc64 and simply use
bi_recs to pass accross additional information from the bootloader,
but I've only had a cursory look on the train on the way home from
work this evening so please be gentle.

I'll give this a go through over the weekend and figure out how to get
this hooked in to the ppc32 tree.

Jon.