Subject: Re: PMU questions

From: Jon Masters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:35:03 +0100

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:49:40 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 07:20, Colin Leroy wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm at a loss with a PMU-related problem... Basically something happened
> > and my iBook (G4 14") battery now thinks it can last only 30 minutes.
> > It used to be 3+ hours. I don't really know what happened.
> 
> Happens all the time on Apple laptops lately. My tipb battery is now
> half of it's capacity. Browse the archives on the web, you'll see that
> it's a common disease with those.

I took my 667 G4 Powerbook back to the John Lewis retail outlet where
I purchased it two years previously and they replaced the case
(scratched paintwork), battery (didn't last very long by now), the
right hinge (just in case), the DVD/CDRW drive, didn't reinstall the
software as per my request, and a bunch of other fixes.

Essentially it's nearly new at this point and I love it. The motto of
the story is that, in the UK at least, John Lewis -
http://www.johnlewis.com/ - are the place to buy Powerbooks. They're
cheaper than Apple, give a two year warrenty and twice now have
entertained my crazy notions of things they might want to offer me
under warrenty. The other thing they did was accept a return when the
first unit developed a single faulty pixel on the day I bought it -
not Apple standard practice either.

I'm currently thinking about getting another battery from one of those
online refurb suppliers, but am completely discharging this one as
part of each charge/discharge cycle. Over 4 hours of battery now with
the display set on full and while doing compiles, etc.

Jon.