Subject: Re: Porting a driver from x86 to LinucPPC

From: "Jens Ch. Restemeier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:46:39 +0100

Bryan Christianson wrote:
> 
> I'm trying to port a device driver from x86 to linuxppc. I am running into
> problems with big/little endian-ness.
> 
> The device is a PCI card. Do I need to explicitly translate the data
> between big-endian and little-endian or will the io routines (outl, inl and
> inw) take care of this for me? On x86 I didn't even think about this issue,
> but now I have a feeling that maybe I should have.

I just fixed the NE2000 driver for this.

inl/outl will fix PCI's liddle-endianess to host-endianness. There is
some documentation in include/asm/io.h.

Jens

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-dev  if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. To unsubscribe from linuxppc-dev, send ]]
[[ the message 'unsubscribe' to [email-masked] ]]