Subject: Re: OF booting news

From: "Jerry Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:09:18 -0400

Tom Rini wrote:
> 
> On Sat, 15 May 1999, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
> > For those who haven't seen it yet, with Darwin 0.2, Apple release new
> > pieces of source code, including the secondary loader, with sources, a
> > working of control video driver, and more... That's interesting because
> > we should now be able to make a great secondary booter with OS choosing
> > capabilities. I don't have time to look into this now, but this could be
> > a good replacement for BootX in the future.
> 
> It looks like most part of the MkL booter were canablized in this as well.
> So it should be possible to do the following, with a little work:
> On old (not New World) ROMs, choose between: MacOS, LinuxPPC, MkL (little
> bit of work on their end?), possibly BeOS, *BSD, and and OSX.  On New
> World, most of that is possible (some problem OF booting LPPC right now,
> and No MacOS (w/o lots of work).)  All that's really missing from it right
> now is some graphical part I think.  There's a routine to draw the OSX
> logo tho. :)

Umm, any news about Platinum drivers?  Otherwise, a revised loader still
wouldn't be very useful on 7200 class machines.

-- 
Jerry Quinn                             Tel: (514) 761-8737
[email-masked]               Fax: (514) 761-8505
Speech Recognition Research

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list.  Replies are ]]
[[ not  forced  back  to the list, so be sure to Cc linuxppc-dev if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. Please check http://lists.linuxppc.org/ ]]
[[ and http://www.linuxppc.org/ for useful information before posting.   ]]