Subject: Sony says this cannot happen!

From: ian geiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:21:19 -0500

I purchased a new Sony CD-ROM last week and i have since then run
into the most peculiar problem i have ever seen in my life.

I was ripping a CD, it was scratched and i have used cdparanoia to
"salvage" CD's like this in the past.  while the CD was being ripped
it got to a point  in the CD where it just could not get by.  the CD
sample
just repeats over and over again no matter what CD player you are on.

well i gave up on this track and went to another one.  but no matter
what
track i was on it would only sample the same 2 seconds of audio from the

first track.  so i switched CDs... the same 2 seconds of audio OVER AND
OVER!

so i rebooted (warm boot) still the SAME 2 seconds of audio...

so i powered off and waited a few minutes.... then i rebooted and
everything
was fine.

i called sony and they said there was no way the CD-ROM could store
audio
on board the CD player like that and that i would be better off
purchasing a new
CD because CD-ROMs are not mad to rip cds....

i am wondering if anyone else has run into this and IF  it is a problem
with my
machine.

 thanks in advance

    -ian reinhart geiser

--
.-----------------------------------------------------------.
|[]                   NeXT Generation                    [X]|
|--------------------------,--------------------------------.
|  PC Network Specialist,  | Office:    CCSD Data Center    |
|  Macintosh Specialist @  | Phone:     414.277.4528        |
|  Milwaukee School of     |                                |
|        Engineering       |--------------------------------|
|                          |                                |
|   ian reinhart geiser    | phone:   414.220.9683          |
|   Apt #510A              | email:   [email-masked]      |
|   1029 N Jackson St      | web:     www.msoe.edu/~geiseri |
|   Milwaukee, WI 53202    |  NeXT/Be/Cyberdog Mail okay!   |
|                          |   MIME or BinHex prefered      |
|--------------------------'--------------------------------|
'-----------------------------------------------------------'