Subject: Re: What is the status of the Linux MPC8240/MPC8260 port?

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:07:57 -0500

diekema_jon wrote:

>         * What is the status of the Linux MPC8240/MPC8260 port?

I now have access to Cort's BitKeeper, so I will be merging
the 8240 I have and it will soon show up in the real sources.
If you want something to patch, I created a tar file of the
new files and those that have changed.  Let me know and I
can make that available.  It is just the result of my separating
the changes for merging.

I was contracted to do the 8260 port by a company and they
currently have the first version of that software.  I will
check in all of the software affected by GPL, which isn't
everything at this time.  I am not going to screw around with
software patches for anything less than an A.0 revision part.

>         Since that time, Dennis Kung ([email-masked]) from
>         Motorola Asia-Pacific reports LinuxPPC running the Sandpoint
>         MPC8240 reference platform.

I have contacted Dennis about this software, we discussed some
of the porting challenges.  I requested this software to merge
with mine before checking into CVS, but have not received a
response.

>         What CVS root is capturing the 82xx development activity?

I should end up in the "real" Linus kernels almost as quickly as
we make the updates.  I don't think there will be a separate "tree
in waiting"....

FYI, there is nothing common between the 8240 and 8260 ports,
except their use of the 603 core generic software.  The 8240 is
a 603 with a slightly modified 106/107 PCI interface.  The 8260 is
a faster 860.....Very different kernel builds.

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/