Subject: Re: Cross-compile dynamic apps for mpc860 on ix86

From: Brendan J Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:00:06 +1100

dony wrote:

> In fact, I have posted ALL howtos (not brief howtos)  that I have done when compiling the cross-compile environment. And
> these are all stealed from CrossGcc FAQ. See http://www.objsw.com.
> I do these successfully on SuSE linux (European version), kernel 2.2.13. But the same steps on Redhat linux cannot work
> and some errors occur. I don't know why and are checking these.
> Since Redhat linux is widely used by most linux fans, I will research some effective and stable steps on this. I will
> post to this mail list later when I succeed on Redhat linux.

I am using RedHat-5.2 and I don't have any problems.  There might be some problems with RedHad-6.0 and/or RedHat-6.1.  I
have heard of some people having problems with RedHat-6.x but I think that might be with RTEMS.  Anyway, RedHat-5.2 works
for me.

> > He is using egcs-1.1.2, glibc-2.1 and binutils-2.9.1.0.19a.
> >
> > I have just managed to cross-compile glibc-2.1.1 and glibc-2.1.2 with egcs-1.1.2.  I haven't tested them out yet but
> > will do it this week.  I am running with the embedded-2.2.5.tgz kernel and should upgrade to mpc8xx-2.2.13.tgz
> > kernel.  I assume things should still work with the 2.2.5 kernel and I will let you know soon.
> >
> > I couldn't get glibc-2.1.1 nor glibc-2.1.2 to compile using the cpu=860 flag.  I was setting CC="powerpc-linux-gcc
> > -mcpu=860".
>
> I think maybe you should use "export CC=powerpc-linux-gcc" and not use "-mcpu=860". I don't know why, but I do this and
> succeed.

Yes.  I have successfully built glibc-2.1.1 and glibc-2.1.2 with egcs-1.1.2 and binutils-2.9.1.0.19a.
I have copied all the shared libraries to my nfs root filesystem under /lib.  I still get segmentation faults when I try to
run the dynamic application.  Arghh !!!  This is so annoying.

I'm using embedded-2.2.5 sourece.  Maybe I should try mpc8xx-2.2.13 or linux-2.2.14 ?
Dony, have you modified any of the kernel source code ?

Does any body out there in linuxppc-embedded land have a clue as to what could be causing the segfaults ?
Can someone suggest a way of getting more debugging information.  I'm using nfsd with "-F -d" call options at the moment.
I can see the ld.so.1 gets called which causes lots of reads from ld-2.1.2.so and then that's it.  I would expect to get
calls to libc.so.6 but it never gets that far.

> > I also tried with the --nfp configure flag but I couldn't get any combination to work.
>
> I don't know this option , so not use it.

It is "supposed" to exclude generation of hardware floating point code.
I imagine this should work better in the next release of glibc (whenever that is) as all the fpu code is in a seperate fpu
directory for the powerpc target.

Brendan Simon.

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/