Subject: Re: PowerMac G4 and pcmcia flash cards

From: Nelson Abramson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:07:13 -0500

Dan Bethe wrote:

>         I don't know yet if we can buy something OTHER than airport, that is
> compatible with airport.  Or if we have to have macs and airport bases
> in order to use an airport lan.

The airport is compatible with (atleast) the Lucent 3mbit/s wireless network.
Lucent sells pc cards that will fit in powerbooks (and non-apple
portables) that will work w/ the airport, but only at speeds up to 3mbit/s.
I imagine that other products are also compatible..

>         Do you know what the feasability is of Linux support of Apple's
> Airport bases and Airport cards?

I imagine fairly possible...I would guess that with the release of mosX and the
bsd device drivers for the airport, porting them to *nix would be pretty easy
(hopefully)....

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
Shouldn't people be arrested and persecuted for engaging in their
constitutional rights?  http://www.opendvd.org

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/