Subject: Re: memory map

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:07:19 -0400

Steve Tarr wrote:

> This IMMR  for the MPC8260 is VERY  tricky,

I didn't think so.  The only thing different is that it isn't stored
in a special register, so you have to know the current IMMR to change
to a different one. You can read the default setting from the
config word or boot rom, and then change it if you wish.

You have to get the default word from someplace, and that is either
the application choice from the boot rom or by asserting RSTCONF and
using a default when there isn't a boot rom.

I think the implementation is pretty slick, especially when you look
at the multiprocessor implementation.

Just because Motorola screwed up one of their reference boards (again),
doesn't mean it can't work well for others.  The purpose of these reference
boards is to demonstrate the ease of using a processor, and I am just
amazed they consistently build the most difficult to use and unreliable
platform to do that.  Fortunately, there are other choices.

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/