Subject: Re: How to get rom code to go on FADS?

From: "Dan A. Dickey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:31:10 -0500

"Dan A. Dickey" wrote:
>
> Nicolas-Peter Pohland wrote:
> >
> > Did you try "rms der 0" (assuming you have the ADI board and MPC8bug SW)
>
> Nope, haven't tried that.  I'll look at it later tonight; thanks
> for the tip.

Good!  Fantastic tip.
This helps tremendously, especially in the fact that now I can
actually boot and run the kernel on my fads... while the ADI &
mpc8bug are connected.  Before that, I would always get the
InstructionTLBMiss exception - and of course, mpc8bug didn't
really know anything about the address.

Also, I'm also now running in "stand alone" mode - with the
ADI & mpc8bug disconnected.  Straight from the flash.

For me, this is great news.  I know that most of you don't
give a hoot!  :)

So, I'm attributing this recent success to:
	A)  Setting SYPCR in the rom code fairly early on.
	B)  Issuing a "rms der 0" to mpc8bug when it is connected.

I'm a happy camper at the moment.  Mostly.  :)
I just need to get my regular system setup to allow bootp and
host an nfs root for the fads.
Also, I just noticed - the kernel couldn't mount root, so it's
doing its "Rebooting in 180 seconds.." act.  However, about
all I'm seeing after that is a:
	<0>Kernel panic: Kernel Mode Software FPU Emulation
and then the duo is repeating every 180 seconds...
Not quite what I call a reboot.  I would think it would at
least manage to restart the rom initialization code.
Anyways, thats relatively minor...
have a good night!
	-Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/