Subject: root fs on hdd

From: Steve Rossi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:06:11 -0500

Hi All,

well after stepping away from it for a while then coming back to it I've
managed to track down the problems with my filesystems getting
corrupted. Now I've got stable hard disk i/o and so I'm trying to mount
the root file system from the disk. I get the feeling I'm missing
something incredibly obvious ... perhaps someone can help point it out
to me.
I've copied the the /bin, /dev, /etc, /lib, /libexec, /sbin, and /share
directories from the monta vista sdk to the root direectory of my ext2
partition (/dev/sda2) using "cp -a" while the root partition was
NFS mounted. What I copied is basically the filesystem that I mount over
NFS and it works fine. I've also created empty /proc and /tmp
directories on sda2. I've modifed etc/fstab on sda2 so that /dev/sda2 is
mounted as the root filesystem. I've also changed my bootline to read
root=/dev/sda2 rw

OK, so the kernel boots, it mounts the root partition on /dev/sda2, init
runs, but init complains:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 52k init
init: error in loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

Then it just stops. I've verified that the lib directory on /dev/sda2
contains libc.so.6 as a link to libc-2.1.2.so

So what am I missing? Where is init looking for libc.so.6 and why can't
it find it? Is there something stupid about the way I just copied the
root filesystem from the NFS mounted root to the disk?

Thanks,
Steve

--
-------------------------------------------------------
Steven K. Rossi                     [email-masked]
Staff Engineer
Multimedia Communications Research Laboratory
Motorola Labs
-------------------------------------------------------

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/