Subject: Re: trackpad

From: Hollis Blanchard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:30:43 +0900

Robert Thompson wrote:
>
> > All looks fine..., no idea what's going wrong for you. A new binary kernel
> > will be on Ben's page in a hour or so, please try that one.
>
> OK, I've tried it. No function from the trackpad still. I downloaded the
> sources and recompiled. Still no trackpad. I turned off "Enable new input
> layer" and make dep'd make clean make vmlinux etc and *still* no trackpad!
> I'm on the Yellow Dog list, and people are starting to report similar
> problems with 2000 "Pismo" PowerBooks and these kernels...

I have a Pismo here. It has a trackpad. The trackpad works, both in gpm
and in XF4, with the new input layer stuff. Both programs are set to use
protocol "IMPS/2". Both programs use /dev/mouse, which is a symlink to
/dev/input/mice, which is a device with major 13 minor 63.

Your problem after disabling the new input layer is most likely because
/dev/mouse is still a symlink to the new input layer device; you can't
have it both ways.

If the precompiled kernel doesn't work that suggests there's something
wrong in your configuration, like your /dev setup or the protocol that X
and gpm are expecting or the device X and gpm are reading from.

-Hollis

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/