Subject: Re: Help with string.S

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:52:01 -0400

Daniel Marmier wrote:
>
> Dan Malek wrote:
> > These are becoming a pain in the ass instructions.

> I have seen this happen on cacheable memory with copyback enabled.
> The dcbz-memcpy caused the destination to be zeroed, IIRC.

OK, I think I am bailing out here.  For some reason, if I remove
the 'dcbz' instructions on the MPC8xx processor the world is just
a better place.  I don't know why, maybe because of some of the
TLB mapping, but I can't find a reason.

I am going to put #ifdef CONFIG_8xx around the dcbz instructions,
and where they are actually used to zero-fill memory I will use
store operations.  The other option is to make the changes at a
higher level (like make 'clear_page' call 'memset' with 0), but I
think the direct assembly changes are preferable.  Suggestions welcome.

I'll keep looking for a better solution, but I can't hold up others
trying to use this kernel.

Thanks.

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/