Subject: Re: Do I shoot myself in the foot first or HEAD.S?

From: Steve Rossi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:09:27 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

>
> 4. Has any one managed to get an EST VisionICE in circuit emulator to work
> with linuxPPc? If so How? Would I be better off using the GNU Debuger?
>

We did use EST's VisionICE box to download linux kernel images to our target
hardware before we had a rom monitor with network loading. It was also helpful
to debug the early boot stuff when we were porting to custom hardware - before
the memory management is enabled. Once the memory manager is enabled, the
VisionICE becomes mostly useless, because as has been said many times on this
list - most BDM debuggers don't understand virtual addresses. Nevertheless the
VisionICE did offer some utility to us.
I wrote a little app that slaps an EST .bin file header on a linux image
(zvmlinux or zvmlinux.inird). I can send that to you if you want it. Then I use
Download to Target from VisionClick and that sticks the whole image in RAM. You
do need to disable VisionICE's interception of software breakpoint emulation
interrupts - do 'cf sbe special'. That should be it.

--
-------------------------------------------------------
Steven K. Rossi                     [email-masked]
Staff Engineer
Multimedia Communications Research Laboratory
Motorola Labs
-------------------------------------------------------

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/