Subject: Re: LinuxPPC X Server

From: Michel Dänzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:03:14 +0200

Steffen Haeuser wrote:

> >agpgart was required _for r128 DRI_ until some time ago. It's possible that
> >it's still needed by the driver in X 4.0.1 but definitely not in the latest
> >DRI CVS.
>
> That is really good news :) If anyone had the chance to try it out, please
> tell so...

Hold on, I will :)

> if this works, we might even take some of you guys into the Sin Beta Tester
> programs, if I remember right, we still need a handful of testers (but I
> have to check with the guy doing the Betatester issues in our company...).

I for one wouldn't say no...

> Driver Coding normally has not that much to do with the OS... :)
> The main work is to find out how this Chip works, and then duplicate the
> functionality of an API by using the Chip Registers (and some of those
> sometimes do things in a *really cruel way*... some years ago I had to do
> some stuff on the old Virge chip...
> this was nasty...) The difficult is usually the register setup... not the
> interface to the OS...

AFAIK the specs for Rage128 aren't publicly available, but there's working
code in DRI - I'm convinced it will be far more easier to get it working than
write something new from scratch.

Michel

--
UNIX is like Sex:
If you don't know it, you don't miss it. But if you know it, you'll need it.
______________________________________________________________________________
Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper)  \  CS student and free software enthusiast
Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86, Team *AMIGA*, AUGS

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/