Subject: Re: CONFIG_PPC != Mac

From: Martin Costabel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:11:04 +0200

Franz Sirl wrote:
[]
> What still uses CONFIG_ADB_KEYBOARD in bitkeeper? I thought I catched all
> PPC uses of it? mac_keyb.c and adbmouse.c are obsolete now for PPC. The
> input layer Makefile setup in drivers/macintosh needs some refinement vs.
> m68k though (hopefully m68k people will use my new stuff too). The possible
> selection of the obsolete CONFIG_ADBMOUSE is already fixed in my local
> tree, I conditionalized it on CONFIG_MAC.

Yes, I had CONFIG_ADBMOUSE=y, and this needed mac_keyb.c which was not
included unless CONFIG_ADB_KEYBOARD was chosen.

I am fighting with the "new input layer" right now, although I don't
quite understand why this thing is being inflicted upon innocent ADB
users.

I am trying to use it in compatibility mode, so that I can still boot
into other kernels (if I see this right, for ADB it doesn't exist
outside of BenH's 2.2.17 tree and the linuxppc_2_3 tree. How sure is it
that this will be accepted into the mainstream kernel?). There are still
some problems:

After booting, some keys don't work: The "a" key that was mentioned
before (it is the "q" here on my French keyboard), but also all the
function keys and most keypad keys. Some of them don't produce keycodes,
some of them weird ones.

After starting X, the situation remained the same, although xev didn't
show the same keycodes or lack of them as showkey. I then switched
/proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes on and off (had to
learn to type "j" for <return> first to go back) and left and reentered
X a couple of times. After a while, all keys started to work correctly.
I'll do some more testing what makes them work.

The main problem so far is that I cannot get mouse button emulation to
work. Has anyone tested this on an ADB keyboard/mouse? Or does it only
work if one goes over completely to the "linux" keycodes? I don't want
to do this yet, because it will make my system unusable with any other
kernel (or maybe unusable at all). Last time I tried, it took me several
hours to get a usable system back.

--
Martin

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/