Subject: Re: Updated DMASOUND patches

From: Michel Dänzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 01:27:18 +0200

Iain Sandoe wrote:

> 2.4.0-test5
>
> This is much more flaky **with identical code**  there is no crashing (yet)
> - but a strong tendency for almost any activity to cut off the sound.
> opening the mixer control is a really good way of doing it.  Once the panel
> is open you can restart the sound and all is hunky-dory... but...

I've noticed that 2.4.0-test4 is much more sluggish than any 2.2 kernel I've
used. Turning on DMA for the HD (yep, didn't do it automatically) helps a bit,
but not totally.

> I guess I'm a little suspicious of the new wait-queue stuff (that's really
> the only major change to the sound side).

There's a whole new kernel around the sound driver ;)

Michel

--
The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.
______________________________________________________________________________
Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper)  \  CS student and free software enthusiast
Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86, Team *AMIGA*, AUGS

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/