Subject: Re: [PATCH v7] mm/hugetlb: ignore hugepage kernel args if hugepages are unsupported

From: "Christophe Leroy (CS GROUP)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2025 19:35:18 +0100

Le 28/12/2025 à 23:35, Andrew Morton a écrit :
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2025 17:25:24 +0530 Sourabh Jain <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Note for backporting: This fix is a partial retrieval of the commit
>> mentioned in the Fixes tag. It is only valid once the change referenced
>> by the Depends-on tag is present. When backporting this patch, the
>> commit mentioned in the Depends-on tag must be included first.
>>
>> Link: https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flore.kernel.org%2Fall%2F20250121150419.1342794-1-sourabhjain%40linux.ibm.com%2F&data=05%7C02%7Cchristophe.leroy%40csgroup.eu%7C93a8f925fc024ff9c3fe08de46616c3b%7C8b87af7d86474dc78df45f69a2011bb5%7C0%7C0%7C639025581404027066%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=3iVUdaMBWhExKkDiV%2BBfYufPTKva1dVikhyQShOq7mc%3D&reserved=0 [1]
>> Link: https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flore.kernel.org%2Fall%2F20250128043358.163372-1-sourabhjain%40linux.ibm.com%2F&data=05%7C02%7Cchristophe.leroy%40csgroup.eu%7C93a8f925fc024ff9c3fe08de46616c3b%7C8b87af7d86474dc78df45f69a2011bb5%7C0%7C0%7C639025581404053206%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=GamDe2R87SdpFurnj9Cmt9wOQtkGLgIO1z7nl5QPxgY%3D&reserved=0 [2]
>> Fixes: c2833a5bf75b ("hugetlbfs: fix changes to command line processing")
>> Depends-on: 2354ad252b66 ("powerpc/mm: Update default hugetlb size early")
> 
> This will be the first "Depends-on:" in history.  Which is a hint that
> we're doing something wrong.  This innovation will surely fool any
> downstream automation.  Let's use existing tools if possible.

What do you mean by "first in history" ? Do you mean it's never been 
used before ? As far as I can see it has been used several times 
already. First one was in 2014 with commit a0855054e59b ("iwlwifi: dvm: 
drop non VO frames when flushing")

Sasha, do tools use it ?

$ git log | grep "Depends-on: " | wc -l
137

$ git log | grep "Depends-on: " | head -10
     Depends-on: e2daec488c57 ("nbd: Fix hungtask when nbd_config_put")
     Depends-on: arm64: dts: nuvoton: Combine NPCM845 reset and clk nodes
     Depends-on: 058518c20920 ("landlock: Align partial refer access 
checks with final ones")
     Depends-on: d617f0d72d80 ("landlock: Optimize file path walks and 
prepare for audit support")
     Depends-on: 7ccbe076d987 ("lsm: Only build lsm_audit.c if 
CONFIG_SECURITY and CONFIG_AUDIT are set")
     Depends-on: 26f204380a3c ("fs: Fix file_set_fowner LSM hook 
inconsistencies")
     Depends-on: commit 045b14ca5c36 ("of: WARN on deprecated 
#address-cells/#size-cells handling")
     Depends-on: v6.12+ with PREEMPT_RT enabled
     Depends-on: 045b14ca5c36 ("of: WARN on deprecated 
#address-cells/#size-cells handling")
     Depends-on: commit aec89dc5d421 ("block: keep q_usage_counter in 
atomic mode after del_gendisk")

Christophe