Subject: Re: Roles for distributions

From: Michel Dänzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 22:49:39 +0200

Todd Lipcon wrote:

> Anyway- I am a fairly decent C, C++, and Java programmer. I'd love to be
> able to contribute to the Linux/PPC effort, however I don't even know
> where to start. Most of the projects that are large enough to actually
> need patches to run correctly on PPC are so large that they are inherently
> intimidating to one not familiar with the source.

Don't let yourself be scared off by the size of something. In every project no
matter how big (provided that they were designed sensibly at least to some
degree ;), there are small, self-contained problems which can be solved rather
easy and quickly.

I think it's better to pick something which doesn't work and you would like it
to, then start digging into it instead of looking for 'the right one which
needs help the most' where you aren't in it with your heart and soul. :)

Michel

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper)  \  CS student and free software enthusiast
Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/