Subject: Re: Console output to framebuffer device: how?

From: ben bodley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:05:09 +1200

Paolo Scaffardi wrote:

> I wrote a framebuffer device that i included in the kernel, but i dont know
> how to redirect the output of the console to my framebuffer device instead
> of the serial console.
>
> During the startup the kernel initializes the framebuffer correctly, and
> says:
>
> "Console: switching to frame buffer device"
>
> but nothing happens on it and the output is given only to serial console.
>
> What should i do to make it work correctly, now?

try adding the boot argument "console=tty0", this should make the main
console
the framebuffer.. if you want to output some text just to test it, try:

echo "this is a test" > /dev/tty1

then you can change to this virtual terminal with the command:

chvt 1

(you should already be default on terminal 1)...  if you are wanting the
framebuffer to be the main console, you may have to set up a dummy
console,
check the pmac_setup.c file for details on setting this up.. (ie.
conswitchp =
&dummycon)..

hope this can help,

ben

--
/\\------------------------------------------------------------------
ben.bodley/.m2technologyltd.nz/[email-masked]/.64.9.4448307ext130

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/