Subject: Re: FW: Embedded Planet 860T software reset

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:06:30 -0400

Mike Flynn wrote:
>
> Software resets works! Our Julia found John Whitney's comment:
>
>         "I soft reboot my system using "shutdown -nr now..."
>
> Dan's code works as provided. "init 6" and "reboot" don't work, but we have
> something
> that does.

The "init" and "reboot" (actually halt) follow a circuitous route
to the shutdown program.  They depend on a variety of files or
environment variables and work well in a fully configured workstation
environment.  They probably won't work correctly in a stripped down
file system of an embedded system.

Also, the code in the kernel may have to be adapted based upon the
boot rom used.  Jumping into rom is a questionable operation.  I am
adding the checkstop/reset patch that was posted a while back to the
2.4 tree (and probably backported to 2.2 as well) as a configuration
option.  This isn't a complete solution either, as it prevents passing
parameters around that are sometimes useful.

Options galore....choose what works for you....not a single solution
for everyone....

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/