Subject: Re: If not CONFIG_ALL_PPC, you're broken

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 00:57:39 -0400

"Mark A. Greer" wrote:
>
> I've haven't been paying attention to this but it seems as though any
> platform that doesn't fit in CONFIG_ALL_PPC doesn't build anymore.

We don't even need CONFIG_ALL_PPC anymore.  We can just rename
arch/ppc to arch/powermac_workstation, as that is all that works
right now.  It sucks to have to build a 2 Mbyte kernel with USB,
keyboard, mouse, and tons of other stuff just to get a kernel that
will link when all you want is a serial and Ethernet port......and
then hack init functions that you didn't want anyway so they don't
try to touch hardware you don't have.

> ........  Yes, I know, I am lazy
> and should contribute more.  Anyway, I think we all need to pay closer
> attention to the changes that are being put in, including me.

Well, putting in the time is only part of it.  I am trying to support
about a dozen different PowerPC boards, none of which look like a
PowerMac.  By the time I test a kernel across all of these platforms
and check in a few changes I am completely out of date and have to
start over.

> What's the best way to get the other platforms working again?

Fortunately, it looks like some people (Matt, Troy, others) have pushed
a few PReP and CHRP updates, and Paul has a CHRP workstation for testing.
Maybe when the PMac stuff slows down, we can catch up.  Unfortunately,
we still have to build huge kernels with lots of stuff we don't need,
and I don't know how to fix that (well, I do but I don't think it
is likely to happen :-).

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/