Subject: Re: Keyboard trouble with XF 4.0.1

From: Guillaume Laures <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:40:02 +0100

Michel Lanners wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On  22 Oct, this message from Martin Costabel echoed through cyberspace:
> > I can tell you what is working for me. I have been using Franz's XF4
> > RPMs for quite a while without major problems (some minor ones still
> > persist, but since the RPMs are 3 months old, I won't repeat them here).
> > I am not using, however, the "linux" keycodes. Only the ADB codes.

You have attached my answer to the problem we seem to have in France
regarding the new input layer, since no good azerty keymap exists in the
standard distrib.
 - fr-mac.kmap.gz: a map to use at console (place in
/usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/mac/ and run kbdconfig)
 - xf86_nil_fr.diff.gz: a diff to stuff I modified in the xkb directory. (do
not try to apply it, but inspect it and see what should be included in the
distribution, test it)
Basically both are last Marc Shapiros's production, with various enhancements
(not much...) and with keycodes # completely redesigned regarding the new
input layer.
Note: you'd _rather_ use linux keycodes if you setup this...

I have only one problem so far: I can't switch from X to console. Otherwise
it's very neat.

>
> I still don't see how those Xkb options relate to anything in the files
> below /usr/lib/X11/xkb. Anybody can explain this?

I've yet to find some doc about it, but starting to play with rules/xfree86
made me learn what you can see in xf86_nil_fr.

Last but not least:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
#        Option      "XkbDisable"
        Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option "XkbModel"  "macintosh"
        Option "XkbLayout"  "fr"
EndSection

All using XFree86-4.0.1-0.36a and happy (so faster with r128).

And an advice: if you plan to move from XFree 4.0 to 4.0.1, have a clean
linuxppc install not far (other partition) to recover things once your
keyboard is completely screwed...

Later,

--
GoM