Subject: Re: context overflow

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:29:30 -0500

Paul Mackerras wrote:

> > That's not what MMU context means, well at least the way I have
> > learned to use it in the past.  An MMU context is supposed to represent
> > the virtual mapping of memory objects.  Linux has memory objects
>
> No, an MMU context represents an address space, or more precisely the
> set of virtual to physical mappings in an address space,...

Isn't that what I just said above :-)?  Your original message said
you want to map some context to just a few of the VSIDs, that is what
I said isn't correct.

> On machines like the x86 where the MMU doesn't know about MMU contexts
> you have to basically context-switch the whole MMU including the TLB.
> Fortunately we don't have to do that. :)

Well, an MMU doesn't have to know about contexts (or have something
called a 'context register') for you to implement MMU context management.

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/