Subject: Re: 860 RTC support

From: Steven Hein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:59:02 -0500

Dan Malek wrote:
>
> Well, hell.....what I used to do is now considered "userland
> business."  I guess the right thing to do is create a /dev/rtc
> that will manage the MPC8xx RTC.  Sorry I missed this as the
> kernel evolved.
>
I know this isn't under your control, but......

If this is the case (that setting the RTC is properly done through
/dev/rtc using hwclock, etc.), then doing a "date --set" no longer
sets the RTC, correct?  And it will never cause the RTC to be set?

.....Seems to me that separating the setting of the RTC from setting
the kernel/system time is a Bad Idea.....There's probably more to it
than that, or maybe "date --set" isn't considered a proper way to
manipulate the system clock anymore (maybe it never was   :).

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Hein ([email-masked])              Engineering Diagnostics/Software
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
1168 Industrial Blvd.                 Phone: (715) 726-8410
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729              Fax:   (715) 726-6715
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/