Subject: Re: ppc little-endian port

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:44:12 -0400

"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> Huh? This is the linuxppc-embedded list if I'm not mistaken.

Well, it was originally created for developers to discuss embedded
PowerPC Linux kernel issues.  It wasn't appropriate to discuss that
on the workstation list, although some of us participate on all lists
to ensure nothing is missed.  This list has since turned into a support
desk function, which isn't the intention.

> Do you mean that this discussion belongs on a list where the
> workstation developers can participate?

No, not even there.  There are developer lists for tools, libraries
and applications.  You need to find the places where the developers
for the compilers, binutils, libraries and such hang out.  We seldom
discuss any of that here, unless there is some kernel interface issue
that has to be coordinated with them.

> Dropping little-endian would seriously piss off Motorola's #2
> customer for high-end PowerPC chips.

...and who may that be?  A #2 customer should have high visibility
here (and I've seen the list, so I would like to know where people
really think they are on it).

> The normal order of the world is little-endian, given the
> dominance of PCI and PC data formats. Big-endian is a mistake
> that won't die because it was written into network standards.

You don't get out much, do you :-)?  Lighten up a little, this
is supposed to be fun.......We could argue all day, but there was
lots of computer work done before PCI and PCs.  I'm more than old
enough to know, so just leave it at that.......

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/