Subject: Re: linking RAM disk with kernel image for ROM

From: "Mark A. Greer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:38:50 -0700

Generic [terse] instructions (assuming makefiles, etc. are correct):

Call the ramdisk image ramdisk.image.gz and put it in arch/ppc/boot/images
then run "make zImage.initrd"

You should end up with something like
arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.initrd.xxx

Mark
--

"Tim M. Sanders" wrote:

> Where can I find a document that describes how to include a RAM disk
> image (initrd ?) in the linux kernel image?
>
> I want to put the entire image in flash, boot from flash and use a RAM
> disk for the root file system.
>
> I know how to create a RAM disk image.  I just don't know where to put
> it in the linux tree so it is linked into the final linux image.  Also I
> am assuming there needs to be some commands on the linux boot prompt.
> What is required to use a RAM disk image as the root file system.
>

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/