Subject: Re: AW: New Linux PowerPC development

From: David Updegraff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:35:52 -0500

Hi.

We also use 405GP, and have a tentatively "stable" kernel from a 2.4.2 tree.
The combination of these tools with PPCBOOT has been a really nice, open
environment to work in...

>>We feel we would have to design an interface into an FPGA. It doesn't
>>support 100BaseT either. We are also looking at using either the
>>MPC8260/MPC8265 or the IBM 405GP. I have been browsing through the
>>mailing-list archives and have seen that these processors are both widely
>>used. I would like some feedback from people that have experience in using
>>these processors with Linux and what recommendations they have.
>>
>
> We are using the IBM PPC405GP in some of our new designs and are pretty
> pleased with the hardware itself. The only annoying thing is that the "free
> available" Linux is still pretty buggy and old (at least 3 months or so) :-(
>
> By the way: Dan, how are you doing with the ppc4xx merge into the linuxppc
> queue?
>
> Eventually (hopefully soon) when this problem is solved, I would recommend
> the PPC405GP.
>
> Sorry I can't say anything about the Motorola parts and their Linux support.
>
> Stefan Roese
>
>
>

--
Dave Updegraff / [email-masked] / 218-525-1154

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/