Subject: Re: root=/dev/ram0

From: Andrew Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:50:11 -0400

Amit D Chaudhary wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Can you give the following details,
> Are you trying to load it as initrd? Not I assume, else confirm that
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

I am trying to load it as initrd.

andrew.dixon@pig2:/usr/src/linux$ cat .config |grep
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

And this is set up correctly in the kernel.  Just to make sure that my
configuration was a workable solution I recompiled everything for an i86
architecture and I tried it out on my laptop.  I put my compressed
ramdisk image and kernel onto a floppy and used ldlinux.sys as a boot
loader passing it the command:

	root=/dev/ram0 initrd=fs.gz

and it works fine.  This prompted me to do a little searching through
the ramdisk source (/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/rd.c) and I found that
the ramdisk expects to find the ramdisk image on the floppy drive:

	if (MAJOR(ROOT_DEV) != FLOPPY_MAJOR
#ifdef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
		&& MAJOR(real_root_dev) != FLOPPY_MAJOR
#endif
	)
	  //ADD
	  //we don't want to return here because our real_root_dev is not the
	  //floppy but the disk or flash device.  Right?  Right!
	  //		return;

It still doesn't work but I've got that feeling that I'm getting
closer.  I'm going to make sure that the hard disk is detected before
the ramdisk tries to load the image

later,
Andy

P.S. Do people on the list like to be cc'd on responses or should I keep
all mail to the list only?

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/