Subject: Ti Powerbooks and YDL 2.1 - Problems

From: Gavin Hemphill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 22:41:17 -0400

Well I've just spent an interesting two days documenting a problem with
the Ti Powerbooks and the 2.4 series kernels.  I have access to two
500Mhz Ti's with the Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8187 drives.  When I tried to
follow Dan Burcaw's experimental instructions on doing a yup update of
YDL2.0 to 2.1 I ran into the problem that a mount of any CD returned the
error message "wrong media type" (I hadn't used the CD at all since
moving to the 2.4 series kernels).  After trying all the various ways of
mounting an ISO CD I decided to try the 2.2 series kernels (which of
course are on the 2.0 CD - catch 22).  After downloading the old kernel
RPM's and installing them I was able to mount the CD with no problem and
actually completed the yup update to 2.1.  However with the new 2.4.10
kernel in place I'm back to the error message if I try and mount the CD
I used to do the update.  I've tried the latest kernels from Benh, and
the bk tree and they all report the same error.  It looks like the drive
is reporting that it doesn't have a DVD inserted, and fails to allow for
the fact that CDROMS are valid.  As a side note I've also observed this
error message on my G4 733 Tower with the superdrive.

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/