Subject: Re: Kernel Oops when receiving a lot of UDP packets while booting

From: Peter Desnoyers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:09:59 -0500

LEROY Christophe wrote:
> What is HHL2.0 ?

Montevista hardhat linux 2.0.  A couple of days ago someone had an
ethernet question about that, and I was confused.

> I'm using the official 2.4.16 kernel from kernel.org with the ppc ports
> patch for 2.4.15.
> I'm not using FEC but MC68160A (that is enet.c). But that's probably the
> same problem.
> Any idea how to solve the problem ?

Check to make sure that ethernet packet reception is disabled when you
leave the init() function, and doesn't get enabled until the _open()
function is called.  You might have to actually do work to disable it if
the bootloader already enabled things...

First you could use some flags and printks to see whether the crash is
really due to early packets, as I suspect.

--
.....................................................................
 Peter Desnoyers            (781) 457-1165   [email-masked]
 Chinook Communications     (617) 661-1979   [email-masked]
 100 Hayden Ave, Lexington MA 02421

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/