Subject: What problems are there with floating point emulation in the kernel?

From: Conn Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:56:48 -0700

Hello everyone,

	I've been told on this list that there are problems fpu emulation
in the kernel. I was curoius as to what the errors are and the aftermath
(pun intended) that occurs when they are encountered. ( Like are the
values off a little bit or a lot, does it cause a kerel panic, does it
block interupts, does it unleash a terible monster that will destroy the
universe, etc... .)

	I'm also very supprised that Motorola and IBM haven't dedicated
some resources to address these problems since their fpu-less chips are
often used in linux designs.

thanks in advance,

	Conn
--

*****************************************************************
  If you live at home long enough, your parents will move out.
*****************************************************************

Conn Clark
Engineering Stooge				[email-masked]
Electronic Systems Technology Inc.		www.esteem.com

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/