Subject: Re: consistent_alloc from an interrupt context

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:05:46 -0400

Eugene Surovegin wrote:

> Current PPC implementation of consistent_alloc cannot be called from an
> interrupt context.

Hmmmm.....Why did I think this was corrected in the past?  I see all of
the consistent_alloc users are doing the same thing.  I know we discussed
this, and the solution was actually quite trivial.  All we have to do is
pass a GFP_ATOMIC into the kmalloc() (called by get_vm_area()).  IIRC,
we added a 'gfp' parameter to get_vm_area() (and changed all callers, which
was just a few), and then passed the 'gfp' into the kmalloc().  I know
many of us tried it and everything worked sweetly :-)

I thought the change was readily accepted by the generic code powers, I guess
no one actually checked it in :-)  You could make the change locally and have
a good day :-)  All you have to do is add the parameter to get_vm_area(),
find all of the places it is currently called and add 'GFP_KERNEL' as the
parameter.  In consistent_alloc(), just pass the 'gfp' variable.

	-- Dan

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/